Anna T. Maembe
I have a Masters of Science degree Wildlife Ecology obtained from ITC, Netherlands (1999) and a Bachelor of Science (Hons) degree from the University of Dar es Salaam Tanzania (1981) where I studied Botany, Zoology and Education).
I also have several certificates including the ones on Contract Negotiation and Management (Abertay,Scotland), Environmental enforcement, Environmental Education and Developing Training Programmes from Strathyclde University (Scotland) and Sustainable Development Principles (Zimbabwe)
2. Work Experience and Positions Held:
I served as a civil servant for the Government of the URT for 34 years during which I served in various positions. I worked as a Permanent Secretary and Deputy Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Community Development, Gender and Children from 2011- 2013: Director of Environmental Information, Communication and Outreach at the National Environment Management Council (NEMC from 2001 – 2011 and as a Senior Environmental Education Officer Grade 1990– 2000 and a secondary school teacher from 1981 – 1990.,
3. Membership to Boards and Committees
I have served on several boards and committees including:
- Global Partnership to End Violence on Children (Executive Committee)
- Board member and Chairperson: Leadership for Environment and Development (LEAD) - Southern Africa – Tanzania Chapter from 2000 - 2006
- Board Member – SUA Centre for Sustainable Rural Development, Sokoine University of Agriculture, Morogoro Tanzania 2000 - 2002
- Board Member – Lake Rukwa Water Basin from 2004 – 2010
- Board Member – International Institute for Environment and Development (IIED), London, UK. 2007 – 2011.
- Board Member, Tanzania Forestry National Advisory Board from 2009 – 2011
- Board Member, Regional Research and Documentation Centre for Gender in the Great Lakes Region, Kinshasa DRC. from 2011 – 2014
- National Project Coordinator for NEMC UNDP funded project at NEMC, Dar es Salaam from 1991 - 1995
My publications include
a) Mapping of Fires in Miombo Woodlands using NOAA – AVHRR. Thesis for fulfilling M.Sc Requirements at ITC, Enschede, Netherlands (1999), A survey of Institutions Holding Biodiversity Information in East Africa UNDP/FAO/GEF report ( Howell K, Maembe A, and Mlaki T, 1994)
The Role of Environmental Education in Dissemination of Appropriate Indigenous Conservation Knowledge in Tanzania (2001) – A paper in Tsepo Mokuku, Likonelo Bitso and Allan Femi Lana (eds). A paper published in Environmental Education for Sustainable Development: African Perspectives. EEASA, NUL and Govt of Lesotho (publishers)
Role of Environmental Education in Dissemination of Indigenous Knowledge for management of environmental resources: The case of the Maasai and Fipa in Tanzania. A paper presented at the Commonwealth Science Conference, Gaborone, Botwana (1999)
I have also served as a consultant to several organizations including at UNICEF (Part time) -Senior Technical Advisor to Government on Development and Implementation of NPA for Prevention of Violence against Women and Children (2016 to date)
Developed an Education and Communication Strategy for Lake Jipe (for Wildlife Division, Ministry of Natural Resources and Tourism. in 2004), Coordinator for Implementation of the Communication and Awareness Strategy for Lower Kihansi Environmental Management Project - (2004 – 2006) as well as a team member on a
Training on Addressing Challenges of Watershed Management: The Case of Pangani a and Rufiji Basins in Tanzania (Sida - Scandia Consult Inc. Sweden) from 2001 – 2004).
6.Conferences attended and Membership to Professional Organizations.
I have also attended several national, regional and international conferences on Child and Gender Deevelopment, Developing Staff Training programmes and Environmental Management Programmes. I am also a member to several professional organizations including the Tanzania Wildlife Conservation Society (WCST), Roots and Shoots of Tanzania, Southern African Environmental Education Association (EEASA), the Tanzania Environmental Experts (EIA) and the IUCN Commission for Education and Communication (CEC), Tanzania Women in Agriculture and Environment (TAWLAE), I am also a Fellow: Leadership for Environment and Development (LEAD) International and Southern Africa the Commonwealth Alumni (London UK).